Buying and selling of domains are volatile in nature yet it is a huge business in the marketplace. You will only need Google to dig deep into information of ‘domaining’ to view a sea of information on the subject.
So what’s the deal with domaining? Why is it so popular? You have probably heard stories about people selling domain names for thousands of dollars. Some of these stories are true.
Here are few high profiles recorded domain sales from the past decade –
- Insurance.com — an insurance quotation site — sold for $35.6 million in 2010
- PrivateJet.com — a private jet booking service — sold for $30.1 million in 2012
- Hotels.com — a hotel deals site — sold for $11 million in 2001
- FB.com — sold (to Facebook) for $8.5 million in 2010
- Beer.com — (now parked and unused!) sold for $7 million in 2004
- iCloud.com sold (to Apple) for $6 million in 2011
- IG.com — a stock trading site — sold for $4.7 million in 2013
- Whisky.com — an information site — sold for $3.1 million in 2014